Friday, 29 June 2012

Dreamer Spotlight: Capture Soaps

Meet Lauren, the talented artisan behind Capture Soaps. Lauren makes soaps unlike anything you've seen. She puts a lot of time and effort into her work and she's very proud of her products.


Tell me something about yourself?

I am a single mother of one.  My son is 12 yrs old. I'm also caring for my grandfather who is 91 yrs old so family plays a big part. I have always been creative for as long as I can remember.
What is your source of inspiration?

When I'm mixing fragrances and making soaps I let my imagination take over. I think about the scent, how it makes me feel, what I think it's trying to say and I picture what I think it should look like ... the colours, patterns and designs. 
Where did you learn your craft? Who taught you?

I am self taught. I have always been drawn to scented things. As a child, I would experiment with all the products in our bathroom, shampoo, body wash, soap and bubble bath. I would mix them all together making my own version of things which I'm sure drove my Mother crazy.
Originally I started making candles and then moved on to making soaps & bath products for myself. As I perfected things,  I began to make them for friends & family as gifts and eventually into what it is today.

Aside from your craft, what else do you enjoy doing?

Anything creative really, I love listening to music, photography, painting and writing. I'll give anything a go.



What piece of advise can you give to other artists?

I would refer them to these quotes: 
"I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed if you truly eradicated it in a child. He would grow up to be an eggplant." - Ursula K.Le Guin

" Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if ...' and then do it" - Duane Michals
What are your plans for the future?

To continue doing what I love to do. I would love to open a showroom/shop from home one day.
Capture Soaps have a big variety of soaps in life like shapes from tiny little babies to flowers, cakes and loaf sliced soaps, you won't believe it's soap! 
You will find them all at the Dreamers Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment