Saturday, 21 July 2012

Dreamer Spotlight: Taylor Made Cupcakes and Embroidery

Meet Nicole from Taylor Made Cupcakes and Embroidery.

Tell me something about yourself?

I'm a mum and wife who has been working from home for the past 6 1/2 years owning and operating a transport company with my husband. After selling our business and downsizing late last year and with both my sons finished school and out working, I found that I had more time on my hands to turn my love of machine embroidery and cake decorating into a small business. I started to attend local craft and baby markets as a stallholder and found that my products especially the bibs with funny sayings, sold extremely well and that customers wh met me at the markets were contacting me to place orders afterwards. From this, I am working in building a home based embroidery business. 


What are your sources of inspiration?

My sources of inspiration are anything that is cute but I also love the feel of country with a little bit of shgabby chic. I prefer simple things and for myself don't like designs that are too busy. I love bright colours and of course, anything pink.

Where and when did you learn your craft? Who taught you? 

I am self taught as far as my embroidery goes. I have always loved craft of any kind and that would come from my mum and nan. Growing up I can remember trying my hands to lots of different crafts with my mum and although my nan tried very hard to teach me to knit, I just can't seem to master that one.


Aside from your craft, what else do you enjoy doing? 

Aside from ym crafty I enjoy spending time with my family. I love spending a day out on our boat with my husband just sitting in ther middle of a river or lake doing some fishing or going for drives through the country. Now that my boys are both grown up and living their own lives, I will have more time to myself to discover new things to enjoy doing. I love the NSW south coast (particularly Dalmeny) where my parents, grandparents and other family live and hope to move there with my husband in the next few years.



What piece of advise can you give to other crafters? 

I think the biggest piece of advised I can give is to persist with what you love. If you love it and enjoy what you do, it will show through your work. If you just want to keep your craft for yourself or turn it into a business just keep pushing on and eventually the rewards will come. The other piece of advise is don't undersell yourself. Don't under estimated your skill. If people love it enough they will pay what you charge. There is no need to be excessive on you prices but don't sell yoursdelf short on the amount of time that each piece takes to create. Keep an eye on what others charge that also do your craft and be competitive but not silly.  



What are your plans for the future?

My plans for the immediate future are to keep building my home embroidery business. I have recently upgraded to an industrial machine which will allow me to do larger quantities of things like sport team or corporate uniforms and even hats. My long term goal is to move to the Narooma district and hopefully take my work with me. It is a business where my products can be posted or sent by courier Australia wide. I will continue to attend markets as a regular stallholder as I love the whole market atmosphere.

You'll see more of her embroidery designs at the Dreamers Market.

Like them on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment