Monday, 13 August 2012

Dreamer Spotlight: Suesl Design

Meet Susanne, the creative talent behind Suesl Design.

Tell me something about yourself?

I was born in Germany and have lived in Australia for many years as a single mum. I always had the urge to work with my hands and create beautiful things. After leaving school my dream was to become a shoe designer. Due to an allergy of leather this career was unfortunately cut short and brought me to Graphic Design. I am always creating, building or designing something (from furniture to birthday cards for friends - my brain is constantly playing with ideas). So, when on a recent trip overseas I came across a beautiful felt purse, I had to get my hands on felt and see where it would bring me. I love the feeling of 100% pure wool felt. The quality and durability is fantastic and it is an organic and natural product. My teenage son is used to hearing me muttering about colours, designs, materials, etc and when I get a sudden "omm, that looks like alright, mum" it makes me very proud.

What are your sources of inspiration?

My inspirations are my everyday surrounding. I doesn't take long after a moment when I go "Ah, wouldn't it be great if  ..." to get excited and busy and try new things.

Where and when did you learn your craft? Who taught you?

As mentioned above, I am a qualified "Shoe and Leather Sewer". So, the sewing and designing I learned as a profession, but the love for quality materials and great designs was in me all the time.

Aside from your craft, what else do you enjoy doing?
I immensely enjoy Gardening (I love my organic vegetables), photography, being a mum (ever-changing and never boring), traveling,
What piece of advise can you give to other creatives?

You will know what is right. It is inside you and wants to come out. Never hold back - experience, play, learn, most of all - follow your intuition.

What are your plans for the future?

I hope to come up with many more designs for useful and beautiful everyday items. I am currently working on building my website and hope to expand this way (although I looove going to markets and always will do that too :) 

Check out more of Susanne's beautiful felt creations at the Dreamers Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment