Thursday, 9 August 2012

Dreamer Spotlight: Wee Pots

Meet Joe, the artisan behind these cute Wee Pots

Tell me something about yourself?

My name is Joe and I am the owner of Weepots. I hand build pottery that are either small, tiny, little or mini. Last summer, I bought a small kiln that is slightly bigger  than a microwave oven. Small kiln, small pots! I love how much work goes into making small pots.  They are  simple, imperfect and irregular. No two are ever alike.


What are your sources of inspiration?

I find inspiration from anywhere, from my surroundings, from books and magazines. When I have something in mind, I write it down in my sketchbook so when there is time, I can easily work out what to do.



Where and when did you learn your craft? Who taught you?

My interest in ceramics began 10 years ago when I attended a pottery class one weekend. Since then I have dabbled with clay on and off, never letting go of it. I learned a lot from books and a lot of trial and error.



Aside from your craft, what else do you enjoy doing?

When I am not playing with clay or sewing bags for my other shop, I love to meet up with friends at the shopping mall for coffee or a bite to eat.



What piece of advise can you give to other artisans?

"Do what you love, Love what you do" ,  as the saying goes.


What are your plans for the future?


I have a weak spot for all things handmade. I would love to have a bigger studio where I can share my knowledge to others. At the moment, the studio is  a 2x2  sqm laundry room! 

You'll find more of these cute pots at the Dreamers Markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment