Tuesday, 6 November 2012

Dreamer Spotlight: grrl+dog



 "Every scrap of fabric tells a story, like holding a sea shell up to your ear and listening to the whisper."



Denise Litchfield is grrl+dog 
 
As grrl+dog, I never grew up. My studio is filled with vintage haberdashery, old jars full of buttons and an old wardrobe full of textiles. I collect discarded toys from the 30’s and 40’s, and adore that worn and patched patina. My stitched curios are born from an imaginary childhood of long ago, where things were hand made and handed down.  I create mementoes from an imaginary childhood using heirloom fabric and my hand stitched curios have been sold at the National Gallery of Australia. I love nothing better than cuddling on the couch with her rescue dog, Bruce and the love of her life.


I can’t leave the tiniest scrap of fabric alone, especially old cottons from feedsack and worn out quilts. Recently I traveled to France, combing through flea markets and sent a week with my most  hero - Julie Arkell. Her delightful creations never cease to fill me with wonder.


I am lucky to come from a generation where they taught you to sew at a young age, and much of my education was sitting by my mother with my little toy sewing machine, sewing doll clothes while she sewed ours.



I’m addicted to Pinterest! Nothing I love better than cuddling on the couch with the lap top, Pinterest, and the two loves of my life  - Bruce the rescue dog and my partner of ten years.
It takes a long time to find your unique voice, but when you do, never let go. Don’t change your work to align to some commercial idea – let your voice always be heard.

I look forward to returning to France to another workshop with Julie Arkell next year, and the many brocantes and flea markets along the way. 
You'll find more of grrl+dog at the Dreamers Christmas Market on 15th December 2012.
Check out her website - grrl+dog
Like her Facebook Page 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for having me here, I feel truly awe struck.

    I can't wait for the market, and am elbow deep in fabric, paper mache and thread.

    ReplyDelete