Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Dreamer Spotlight: Handknitted by Laima



My name is Laima. I am a 60yr old Grandmother who loves to knit and share my creations with people who appreciate the time and effort knitting takes.

I have been married for 38 years and have two married sons, a six month old grand daughter and another grand child arriving just after Christmas this year.

I was born in Adelaide and have lived in four states of Australia because of my husband’s work. We presently reside in Castle Hill, Sydney where we have lived for the past 22 years.


Yarn manufactures have created so many ‘fancy’ yarns nowadays that there is no limit to imagination. Colours and different textures allow me to express nature through my knitting needles when I create my throw rugs.

I first learnt to knit in primary school through the nuns at Loreto convent, starting off with scarves and simple patterns and then progressed to designing and altering patterns to suit my creative juices.

I love spending time with my family and friends. I love watching my sons play AFL footy and love travelling to America and exploring that country in a Motorhome.
My advice to other creatives is to never give up on a project. No matter how many times things go wrong you will find a solution to fix the problem if you stick with it. I have probably unpicked more stitches than I care to remember and love it when I can admire the finished product. 

My future plan is to keep on knitting and give as many people as possible pleasure from my craft. Maybe one day my grandchildren will ask me to teach them how to knit!!! My husband would love it if I stopped buying wool…but I CANNOT walk past a bargain, so he has to put up with my obsession. 
Find Laima's gorgeous creations at the Dreamers Christmas Market on the 15th December. 
Find her on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment