Sunday, 17 February 2013

Dreamer Spotlight: Blue Raven Designs



"Using vintage supplies is an important factor in my work. I believe unlike new supplies, vintage has a history and I love that my creations are a modern, useful version incorporating that past life." ~ Melanie from Blue Raven Designs

Tell me something about yourself?

A creative WAHM with 2 children. I always have at least 2 projects I am working on at a time. I never sit still as my mind is always in overdrive!

What are your sources of inspiration?

My inspiration is drawn from a love of all things “old”, “vintage”, “colourful”, “textured” , basically anything I consider to be “pretty” and worth incorporating into my designs. 


Where and when did you learn your craft? Who taught you? 

Small things such as hand sewing and beading I learnt from watching my mum and nan when I was a kid. I would always be at their side intrigued in what they were making. Mum was gifted at sewing, nan’s talent was knitting and although I can’t knit she did encourage my craftiness. I also think watching my dad in his workshop when young making some contraption or another, developed my interest in working with my hands and he also taught me to “think outside the box” which I like to think I do on a daily basis. As for my actual craft, I used the skills learnt as a child and put them to use as an adult. 


Aside from your craft, what else do you enjoy doing?

I play guitar, sing, spend hours on Pinterest (who doesn’t?), interior decorating, painting, drawing and like every female,shopping!



What piece of advise can you give to other artists? 

Follow your dreams, set the bar high so you are always pushing yourself to be the best you can possibly be and one day, you may just reach that bar!


What are your plans for the future?

I love what I do and would be happy to continue as is although deep down I have a secret desire for my creations to one day be sold in boutiques across Australia and the world. I imagine there would be nothing more satisfying than walking into a shop and seeing something you lovingly hand crafted displayed on their shelves.

Check out Blue Raven Designs at the Dreamers Market on Saturday, 16th March.



No comments:

Post a Comment