Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Dreamers Spotlight - Anna Beresford


Meet Anna, the talent behind these beautiful handmade jewelleries.



Tell me something about yourself?  

I have two part-time jobs – as a legal secretary, and also as a chaplain in a hostel for people who suffer from mental illness.  I do a lot of bead weaving and repetitive stringing and find it quite meditative and relaxing.


What are your sources of inspiration?  

I use a lot of semi-precious stones in my work and find that my inspiration usually comes from the stones themselves – colour, texture, pattern – it’s all very evocative of nature and that we as “crafters” can only help show the beauty that is already there.


Where and when did you learn your craft? Who taught you?   

My husband and I were holidaying on the Central Coast of New South Wales a few years ago.  He saw a pair of earrings in a shop window and wanted to buy them for me.  It was a bead shop and the owner informed us that the jewellery wasn’t for sale, just the components to make the jewellery.  I said that I wouldn’t have a clue where to start but, coincidently, they were holding a beginners class that night.  I said no, but my husband talked me into attending.  Well….. two hours, three pairs of earrings and one bracelet later I was hooked.  Now when my husband says “you haven’t bought more beads, have you”, I can remind him that it was he who started off my obsession!!

Aside from your craft, what else do you enjoy doing?  

Spending time with my husband and family, reading, and finishing my Masters degree.
What piece of advise can you give to other artists?  

Don’t be afraid to experiment, don’t give up if something isn’t going right and, most importantly, make a piece in stages – sleeping on it often allows the next step to make itself known to you.  
What are your plans for the future?
Finish the degree, continue to be creative and enjoy life.

Anna will be at the Dreamers Winter Market on Saturday, July 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment