Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Dreamers Spotlight: Kabuki Rodeo


Tell us something about yourself?

I love fabric, I love Design and more than anything I love the way they work together. I
have always had a fabric addiction, I see a piece of beautiful cloth and immediately I am
visualising it on a dress form, the way it will drape, the endless possibilities of what it can
become. I am a textile tragic.

What are your sources of inspiration?

I draw my inspiration from mid 20th century design, popular culture and children's book
illustration. I strive for juxtaposition in my design, for example a 1950's style sundress that
utilises a kitsch fabric.
Where and when did you learn your craft? Who taught you?
I can't remember a time without fabric and a sewing machine, I have had a long line of
wonderful people who have imparted to me their passion and have studied Fashion
Design in Canberra, Soft Sculpture and Fashion as Art in Florence, Costume Design in
Melbourne and the wonderful art of Quilting in Sydney.


Aside from your craft, what else do you enjoy doing?

Hanging out with my two sons, my wonderful supportive partner and the crazy Labrador.
What piece of advise can you give to other artists?
Do it, Enjoy it, Free it and make mistakes, lots and lots of glorious mistakes... don't stop
learning.


What are your plans for the future?

To keep running with the ideas and the dreams. To keep sewing, designing and hopefully
one day have a beautiful website to showcase my work.

Kabuki Rodeo will be at the Dreamers Winter market on July 20,2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment