Friday, 7 June 2013

Dreamers Spotlight : C Percy Designs


Tell us something about yourself? I’m a busy Mum who uses crochet as a creative outlet.  I live on the beautiful South Coast of NSW with my husband and 3 children.  Not only do I crochet I also teach this art at my local wool shop, Sew Good Knit Too (https://www.facebook.com/SewGoodKnit2)
What are your sources of inspiration? My inspiration comes from so many places.  My 2013 range has been inspired by traditional crochet techniques, especially Irish Crochet.  You can see inspiration in the patterns I created for the Classic Cable beanie and my 1920’s style beanie that utilizes a traditional drop stitch “Drop Stitch gorgeous” beanie.  The pretty “Butterfly” beanie was designed by Paloma Perez and has a 3D butterfly which is a nod to Irish crochet.

Where and when did you learn your craft? Who taught you?  I learnt the basics from my Mum when I was a young girl. I come from a long line of crocheters and knitters; we can trace our family's crochet origins to the Irish Potato Famine 1800s. 

Since I started crocheting again in my 30’s I have been teaching myself through nutting out vintage patterns, reading crochet books and magazines, watching YouTube videos and occasionally attending crochet-related webinars.  I have also sought out experienced crocheters who have been able to answers the questions I wish I had asked my Nana before she passed away.  
Aside from your craft, what else do you enjoy doing? I like reading and going to galleries but I don’t get to do either often. I’m a big TV buff, at the moment I’m enjoying watching the 3rd season of Game of Thrones with my hubby.  Other favourites are Mad Men and the Gilmore Girls.

What piece of advice can you give to other artists?  Copying is not cool and I’m a big supporter of the Contemporary Handmade Alliances’ (http://contemporaryhandmadealliance.blogspot.com.au/
) push to make 2013 the year of originality.  Having a creative business is all about finding your own voice, your own unique style.  Sure be inspired by others but don’t rip off another creative’s work just for the sake of a few bucks.  In the end copying hurts everyone – you, the original business and the customer.
What are your plans for the future?  World beanie domination!  Ha, only joking.  This year my aim is to promote my business as much as possible through avenues I haven’t used before.  One can’t simply promote via social media and expect to gain sales. 


So far that is aim is working, as I have been featured in two local publications. I have a tutorial being printed in the Winter edition of *Bespoke Zine (http://www.bespokezine.com/
and my cable beanie will be featured in the next edition of Multiplied Magazine (http://multipliedmagazine.com.au/).  I’m also really excited about attending the Artful Business Conference (http://www.artfulbusinessconference.com/) in Brisbane this September.  I went to this conference last year and it changed the way I view and conduct my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment