Monday, 14 October 2013

Dreamers Spotlight: DM Pottery


Tell us something about yourself?

I’m 40-something, married, a potter, an aunty, and live in the Sydney suburb of Randwick. I’ve also lived in Melbourne and in various parts of England. I lack patience but have great powers of concentration. I’m left-handed and proud to be right-brain dominated.



What are your sources of inspiration?

All sorts of things; found objects, ceramics from antiquity, and especially the colours and textures of the Australian bushland (particularly geology and eucalyptus bark) and Australian flora. I’m also inspired by the making process itself - ‘happy accidents’ that can lead to whole new bodies of work. Much of my current work makes use of an Art Nouveau design of Australian flannel flowers sourced from a Federation period (c1912) pane of pressed glass.
page1image10888 page1image11048
Where and when did you learn your craft? Who taught you? 

I completed a Diploma of Arts (Ceramics) in 1996-97 at Holmesglen TAFE in Melbourne. Then I worked in a number of production potteries over many years including Dartington Pottery in England. Then I worked as an assistant to a studio potter in England before starting up my own workshop in 2010. I should also include in my education the countless demonstrations and workshops I have attended over the years given by professional potters - always so illuminating.


Aside from your craft, what else do you enjoy doing?

I love photography and have been doing that for ...gosh is it really more than 25 years? I used to have a darkroom and print all my own work before the digital age came along and now everything is so easy on a computer screen - I can spend hours in Photoshop. I also love bushwalking, fossil hunting, beach combing, and traveling. Still so much of the world to see.

What piece of advise can you give to other artists? 

Get a proper job! Just joking (well kinda). I worked in a bank for 7 years between those pottery jobs I mentioned earlier, so my advise would be to hold onto the dream even when it seems unattainable and make it happen. Be market aware - the idea is to sell work so you can sustain what you love doing.

What are your plans for the future? 

I’ve never been very good at making plans for the future. I want to continue doing what I’m doing right now. I want to continue to grow creatively so that my customer base grows and I stay interested. I’ve recently been working on a couple of restaurant commissions. I’d like to do more of that. 



DM Pottery will be at the Dreamers market on October 19,2013.
Riverside Theatres, Parramatta
9:30-2:30 p.m.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the great profile. I love her Flannel Flower series

    ReplyDelete