Tuesday, 14 July 2015

Feature Interview: Yoko Kawabata Design

Tell us something about yourself?

Hi Im YOKO.  Im a Japanese, living in Sydney (Australia) with my Aussie husband since 2010.  Currently, Im a full-time interior design student at Enmore Design Centre at Sydney TAFE. 

What are your sources of inspiration?

Being a Japanese, my handmade products naturally incorporate a Japanese aesthetic with a playful pop culture taste (I love rainbow colours and polka dots!).  I use fabrics bought in Japan and Australia.  I use natural materials, like linen and cotton.  All my products are hand-made in a smoke-free and pet-free home, using a regular sewing machine.  Many of my products are my own designs or are modern variations on classic Japanese styles. 


Where and when did you learn your craft? Who taught you? 

Sewing has been one of my passions since childhood.  My mum is always doing craft things around the home and I grew up seeing her sew and knit anything and everything for me and my sister.  I started to design and sew my own school bag when I was grade 6.  Ive been making various products for myself, friends, school classmates, and family. 


Aside from your craft, what else do you enjoy doing?

I enjoy watercoloring and performing.  I also enjoy baking and cooking. 

What piece of advise can you give to other artists? 
This is going to be my first time to sell my products at a market.  Im very excited, but at the same time feeling a bit nervous, too.  If you are also an artist, but feeling scared to try a new thing, please dont worry.  This is my favourite quote by the playwright Samuel Beckett: Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better 




What are your plans for the future?

I used to hand-dye fabrics and sewed to make bags and clothes.  I love to do it again.  I also like to collaborate with my friends who does textile design.  It is my dream to facilitate sewing workshops in the future so that people can tap into their creativity through sewing or other arts.  

Yoko will be at the Dreamers Market on July 18,2015. Riverside Theaters. Parramatta. 9:30-2:30 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment