Sunday, 16 July 2017

Feature Interview : Kora Candles

Tell us something about yourself?

My name is Deepa and I am mother of 2 little girls (9 and 7yrs). Based in Sydney’s Hills District, I started making scented candles couple of years back. KoRA is derived from the names of our daughters Koena (KO) and Kaira (RA) so can say its my third baby and am extremely passionate about it. The journey of Kora won’t have been possible without the immense support and encouragement from my husband and the 2 little ones. They motivate me always to follow my dreams and fulfill my passion.





What are your sources of inspiration?

Successful women specially mums who are able to maintain a work life balance and at the same time manage to fulfill their passion and follow their dreams. It takes lot of courage and mental strength to put your ‘brand’ out there and connect with people.
Where and when did you learn your craft? Who taught you? 
I have always been passionate about scented candles and would burn them at home regularly. But when we had our children I wanted to make sure that I try not to expose them to paraffin candles as they carry chemicals and that’s when started using candles made out of Soy Wax. Goes without saying, I just loved it and wanted to make them myself. That’s when I started learning how to make scented candles out of soy wax. I read a lot about the benefits or soy candles, watched training videos and tested numerous times before I could offer them to my friends and family. Slowly what started as a hobby took a shape of a small homebased business of handmade scented candles.


Aside from your craft, what else do you enjoy doing?
I love to cook indian cuisine, spend time with my family and of course meeting new people and connecting with them.

What piece of advise can you give to other artists? 
Do not give up on your passion. Believe in yourself and what you do. If you are true to yourself and love your creation then world will follow you.

What are your plans for the future?
To establish Kora Brand all across Australia. We already support Careflight and donate certain amount of our profit to them. I hope and wish to do that more with other charities and give back to our community who has given Kora so much support and love. 

Kora Candles will be at the Dreamers Market on Saturday, July 22, 9:30-2:30 pm.
Riverside Theaters, Parramatta.



No comments:

Post a Comment